UN / YEMEN FOOD AID

09-Aug-2019 00:01:08
Life-saving food aid distribution is set to resume to 850,000 people in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, following guarantees by Houthi opposition forces that the supplies will reach those who need them most, the World Food Programme (WFP) said today. UNIFEED
Size
Format
Acquire
N/A
Hi-Res formats
DESCRIPTION
STORY: UN / YEMEN FOOD AID
TRT: 1:08
SOURCE: UNIFEED
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

DATELINE: 09 JUNE 2019, NEW YORK CITY / FILE
SHOTLIST
FILE – RECENT – NEW YORK CITY

1.Wide shot, exterior, United Nations Headquarters

09 JUNE 2019, NEW YORK CITY

2. Wide shot, press briefing room
3. SOUNDBITE (English) Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesperson for the Secretary-General:
“Our friends at the World Food Programme today welcomed what they called ‘an important and positive step’ taken by the Sana’a based authorities on safeguard, to ensure humanitarian food assistance reaches the most vulnerable children, women and men in the areas under their control.”
4. Various shots, press briefing room
5. SOUNDBITE (English) Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesperson for the Secretary-General:
“WFP said that they will resume food distribution following the Eid al-Adha festival for the 850,000 people in the Sana’a city who have not received food rations from WFP for the last two months. WFP is also beginning to roll out a smartcard driven beneficiary management system, that will register nine million people in areas of Yemen controlled by the Sana’s based authorities. These vital measures provide for the protection and privacy of the people that WFP serves and the independence of humanitarian operations.”
6.Wide shot, press briefing room
STORYLINE
Life-saving food aid distribution is set to resume to 850,000 people in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, following guarantees by Houthi opposition forces that the supplies will reach those who need them most, the World Food Programme (WFP) said today.

Speaking to reporters Friday (09 Aug) in New York, UN Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said, “the World Food Programme today welcomed what they called ‘an important and positive step’ taken by the Sana’a based authorities on safeguard, to ensure humanitarian food assistance reaches the most vulnerable children, women and men in the areas under their control.”

According to WFP, under a deal that ends a partial two-month break in WFP assistance to Houthi-held areas of the war-torn country after the agency said that humanitarians were being denied access and local authorities were interfering with deliveries, a new registration process had been agreed.

Dujarric also said, “WFP is also beginning to roll out a smartcard driven beneficiary management system, that will register nine million people in areas of Yemen controlled by the Sana’s based authorities. These vital measures provide for the protection and privacy of the people that WFP serves and the independence of humanitarian operations.”

The humanitarian operation in Yemen is WFP’s largest. It maintains that the new measures are needed to ensure the protection and privacy of those in need, and the independence of its distribution teams.

The development means that WFP can continue to scale up operations in a bid to reach 12 million people a month across Yemen, where more than four years of conflict between the Houthis and Government forces that are supported by a Saudi-led Coalition are estimated to have left thousands of civilians dead and pushed people to the brink of famine.
Category
Geographic Subjects
Source
Alternate Title
unifeed190809c