UN / EBOLA ONE YEAR

31-Jul-2019 00:01:05
A second case of Ebola that has been confirmed in Goma, a major city of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, “underscores the very real risk of a spike in disease transmission, perhaps beyond the country’s borders,” the United Nations officials warned in a cross-agency joint statement. UNIFEED
Size
Format
Acquire
N/A
Hi-Res formats
DESCRIPTION
STORY; UN / EBOLA ONE YEAR
TRT: 1:05
SOURCE: UNIFEED
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH /NATS

DATELINE: 31 JULY 2019, NEW YORK CITY
SHOTLIST
FILE

1. Exterior shot, UN Headquarters

31 JULY 2019, NEW YORK CITY

2. Wide shot, press room
3. SOUNDBITE (English) Stephane Dujarric, Spokesperson for the United Nations Secretary-General:
“Tomorrow will mark one year since the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo declared an outbreak of Ebola in North Kivu Province. And yesterday, in Goma, a miner working in the province of Ituri became the city’s second case of Ebola. He reportedly died this morning.”
4. Cutaway, reporters
5. SOUNDBITE (English) Stephane Dujarric, Spokesperson for the United Nations Secretary-General:
“Surveillance at all points of entry, and points of control in the area are being stepped up. They are also increasing community engagement, risk communications and active case finding.”
6. Cutaway, reporters
7. SOUNDBITE (English) Stephane Dujarric, Spokesperson for the United Nations Secretary-General:
“This latest case in such a dense population center underscores the very real risk of a spike in disease transmission, perhaps beyond the country’s borders, and the very urgent need for a strengthened and global response and increased donor investment.”
STORYLINE
A second case of Ebola that has been confirmed in Goma, a major city of the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, “underscores the very real risk of a spike in disease transmission, perhaps beyond the country’s borders,” the United Nations officials warned in a cross-agency joint statement.

“Tomorrow will mark one year since the Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo declared an outbreak of Ebola in North Kivu Province,” said the UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric in New York on Tuesday (31 Jul). “And yesterday, in Goma, a miner working in the province of Ituri became the city’s second case of Ebola. He reportedly died this morning,” Dujarric said.

In reaction to this new case, the Ebola Emergency Response Coordinator, David Gressly, and the World Health Organization Assistant Director-General for Emergency Response, Dr. Ibrahima Socé Fall, said they are mobilizing all aspects of the response to stop the spread of Ebola in Goma.

Dujarric said “Surveillance at all points of entry, and points of control in the area are being stepped up. They are also increasing community engagement, risk communications and active case finding.”

The spokesperson read a joint statement issued to mark the one-year milestone, by the heads of the World Health Organization (WHO), the UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF), as well as the World Food Programme (WFP) in which they said that “this latest case in such a dense population center underscores the very real risk of a spike in disease transmission, perhaps beyond the country’s borders, and the very urgent need for a strengthened and global response and increased donor investment.”

There is, reportedly, no evidence that the second case in Goma is linked to the first confirmed case. The first concerned a pastor who travelled to Goma from Butembo in North Kivu. The second is a miner who had been working in Ituri.
Category
Topical Subjects
Personal Subjects
Source
Alternate Title
unifeed190731d