UN / DRC EBOLA UPDATE

07-Aug-2018 00:01:26
The Deputy Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, Farhan Haq, told reporters that that the number of confirmed Ebola cases from the most recent outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, stands at 16, with a probable 27 additional cases, a total of 43 cases, including 34 deaths. UNIFEED / FILE
Size
Format
Acquire
203.2 MB
HD PAL
98.29 MB
SD PAL
204.9 MB
HD NTSC
DESCRIPTION
STORY: UN / DRC EBOLA UPDATE
TRT: 01:26
SOURCE: UNIFEED / FILE
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

DATELINE: 07 AUGUST 2018, NEW YORK CITY / FILE
SHOTLIST
FILE – RECENT, NEW YORK CITY

1. Wide shot, United Nations flag outside UN headquarters

07 AUGUST 2018, NEW YORK CITY

2. Wide shot, Farhan Haq at the podium
3. Med shot, journalists
4. SOUNDBITE (English) Farhan Haq, Deputy Spokesman for the Secretary-General:
“In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the World Health Organization says that the number of confirmed Ebola cases stands at 16, with a probable 27 additional cases – so that’s a total of 43 cases, including 34 deaths. WHO also says there are 31 suspected cases being currently observed. WHO has 30 staff on the ground and a Mobile Lab has been deployed as of 2 August. Contact tracing has started and so far over 900 contacts have been registered in the town of Mangina that was the epicentre of this outbreak, some 30 kilometres from Beni. A WHO vaccination team will also be deployed soon.”
5. Med shot, journalists
6. Wide shot, Farhan Haq walks away from the podium

FILE – WHO - 9 JUNE 2018, ITIPO, ÉQUATEUR PROVINCE, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO

7. Various shots, WHO health worker taking the temperature of suspected patient

FILE – WHO – JUNE 2018, ÉQUATEUR PROVINCE, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE
CONGO

8. Various shots, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) Ebola treatment centre

FILE – WHO – JUNE 2018, IBOKO, ÉQUATEUR PROVINCE, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO

9. Various shots, ring vaccination campaign in Iboko
STORYLINE
The Deputy Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, Farhan Haq, today (07 Aug) told reporters that that the number of confirmed Ebola cases from the most recent outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, stands at 16, with a probable 27 additional cases, a total of 43 cases, including 34 deaths.

The Spokesperson said that according to the World Health Organization (WHO) there are 31 suspected cases being currently observed.

He said “WHO has 30 staff on the ground and a Mobile Lab has been deployed as of 2 August. Contact tracing has started and so far over 900 contacts have been registered in the town of Mangina that was the epicentre of this outbreak, some 30 kilometres from Beni. A WHO vaccination team will also be deployed soon.”

WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus and WHO Deputy Director-General Dr. Peter Salama will be travelling to the Democratic Republic of the Congo on Thursday to see first-hand the response being put in place.


WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus and WHO Deputy Director-General Dr. Peter Salama will be travelling to the Democratic Republic of the Congo on Thursday to see first-hand the response being put in place.

The Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) announced last week that preliminary laboratory results indicated a new cluster of cases of the deadly Ebola virus in North Kivu province.

The announcement was issued just eight days after the Ministry of Health declared the official end of an Ebola outbreak in Equateur Province, some 2,500 km from North Kivu.

A total of 29 died during the most recent outbreak, which was declared over when two weeks had passed without a new case emerging, following the release of the last patient from care.
Category
Topical Subjects
Personal Subjects
Source
Alternate Title
unifeed180807c