News in Brief 15 September 2017 – Geneva (AM)

Listen /

António Guterres. UN Photo/Jean-Marc Ferre

UN chief condemns "yet another" DPRK missile test

The latest missile test by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea has been condemned by UN Secretary-General António Guterres.

In a statement, Mr Guterres described Friday's launch as a "manifest violation" of Security Council resolutions.

The 15-member body is due to discuss what action to take after the DPRK flew a ballistic missile over Japanese territory.

On Monday it applied new sanctions against North Korea following the State's underground nuclear test at the start of the month.

Condemning "yet another" missile launch, Mr Guterres called on the DPRK to cease further testing and "allow space" for "sincere dialogue".

The Secretary-General added that he could be discussing the situation on the Korean Peninsula "with all concerned parties" at the UN General Assembly.

CAR violence forces record 1.1 million to flee

More than 1.1 million people in the Central African Republic (CAR) have been forced to flee violence – the highest number since 2013 – the UN said on Friday.

UN Refugee agency UNHCR issued the warning amid clashes between armed groups in the country, which began in May this year.

To date, 600,000 people have been displaced inside CAR and more than half a million are refugees in neighbouring countries.

Many of those seeking shelter reported seeing killings, lootings and kidnappings, UNHCR said.

The development comes amid growing insecurity in areas previously free from conflict, including Bangassou and Zemio.

The lack of stability has prevented planned humanitarian aid deliveries by air, which have been blocked by armed groups, UNHCR said.

Total needs for the country are estimated at US$ 209 million but the appeal is only nine per cent funded.

First aid by road reaches Syria's Deir-ez-Zour

The first international aid deliveries by road have reached Deir-ez-Zour in Syria – a city until recently under siege by ISIL fighters.

Supplies for around 30,000 people reached the eastern city on Thursday, UN Refugee Agency UNHCR said.

At least twice that number need humanitarian assistance.

Until now, the only way to help those in Deir-ez-Zour was from the air, with hundreds of high-altitude UN air-drops of aid carried out since April last year.

Andrej Mahecic is a spokesperson for UNHCR:

"Our trucks brought the stuff we have – the aid items – from our warehouse in Homs. Obviously as intense fighting around Deir-ez-Zour and in Ar-Raqqa continues, we reiterate our calls for protection of civilian population, their safe passage out of areas of conflict and respect for the principles of international humanitarian law."

Amid ongoing fighting outside the city, UN humanitarian coordinating agency OCHA said that every effort would be made to provide regular aid deliveries as soon as security conditions allowed.

Daniel Johnson, United Nations, Geneva.

Duration: 2’53″

 

Filed under .
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

December 2017
M T W T F S S
« Nov    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031