Three South Sudanese porters for WFP killed on their way to work

Listen /

The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) provides protection to civilians fleeing violence in Wau (August 2016). Photo: UNMISS

Three South Sudanese porters with the World Food Programme (WFP) were killed on Monday, as they tried to make their way to work at a warehouse in the town of Wau.

In a statement released on Friday, WFP said that two of the men had died of machete wounds, and the third had been shot.

Matthew Wells reports.

The UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan, UNMISS, reported earlier this week that at least 16 had been killed in Wau on Monday, after pro-government forces attacked the town, in an apparent reprisal attack.

WFP said that it found out on Thursday that three of its contract workers were among the dead.

Daniel James, Ecsa Tearp and Ali Elario, worked for a local company contracted by WFP to provide loading and unloading services at the agency's warehouse in Wau.

Since 2013, the world's youngest country has suffered conflict between rival forces split along ethnic lines, fueling a refugee and humanitarian crisis.

WFP Country Director Joyce Luma, said that the agency was "outraged and heartbroken by the deaths of our colleagues, who worked every day to provide life-saving food to millions of their fellow countrymen."

She said their dedication would not be forgotten, and called on the South Sudanese authorities to hold those responsible for their brutal killings, to be held accountable.

Matthew Wells, United Nations.

Duration: 59"

Filed under Today's News.