Shock and outrage over killing of at least 140 mourners in Yemen

Listen /

The aftermath of airstrikes on the city of Sa’ada Yemen, in August 2015. Credit: OCHA / Philippe Kropf

The killing of more than 140 people in the Yemeni capital Sana'a, following airstrikes, has been condemned by the UN Secretary-General.

In a statement following the attack on the large funeral ceremony on Saturday, Ban Ki-moon expressed his sincere condolences and sympathies to the families of the victims.

Matthew Wells reports.

The UN chief called for a "prompt and impartial investigation" of the airstrikes, said to have been carried out by the Saudi-led coalition.

The aerial bombing campaign began in March last year, when the coalition began supporting government forces in their efforts to wrest control of Yemen back from Houthi rebels, who currently control the capital Sana'a.

Mr Ban said that any "deliberate attack" against civilians was "utterly unacceptable" and called for those responsible to be brought to justice.

According to news reports, coalition members said they would immediately investigate the case, along with experts from the United States.

The UN's Humanitarian Coordinator in Yemen, Jamie McGoldrick, said the whole humanitarian community was "shocked and outraged" by the airstrikes, which hit a community hall full of thousands of mourners, and injured more than 500.

"This violence against civilians in Yemen must stop immediately" said Mr McGoldrick, and he called on the international community to "exert pressure and influence on all parties to the conflict" to protect civilians.

Matthew Wells, United Nations.

Duration: 58"

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

November 2017
M T W T F S S
« Oct    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930