News in Brief 1 July 2016 (PM)

Listen /

Bangui, Central African Republic. UN File Photo/Nektarios Markogiannis

CAR: New allegations of sexual abuse involving minors

New allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse involving minors in the Central African Republic (CAR) have surfaced, the UN has confirmed.

The UN internal oversight body (OIOS) is carrying out investigations in the Kemo region where previous allegations of abuse had been reported.

Charges have been made against UN troops from Burundi and Gabon, French Sangari Forces as well as local armed groups in the area.

Most of the crimes are said to have happened between 2013 and 2015.

Here's Stéphane Dujarric, the UN Spokesperson.

"The Mission has received information on two new allegations in the area involving two minors. We will notify the concerned Member State and request for national investigators in order to look into these allegations.   Furthermore, the Mission has also received additional information of possible further historic allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse. This information is receiving preliminary review and assessment by OIOS to determine its credibility. All subsequent actions are to be taken as required in an expeditious manner."

Regarding the past allegations, OIOS has said that all complainants had been interviewed.

Around 50 witnesses have been identified regarding those cases and are being interviewed in order to corroborate testimonies.

Violence continues in Iraq during holy month of Ramadan

Violence continues to take its toll on civilians in Iraq, dashing hopes for a period of calm during the holy month of Ramadan, the UN special envoy there said.

According to the latest figures released by the UN Mission in the country (UNAMI) for June, more than 600 Iraqis were killed and close to 1,500 injured in acts of terrorism, violence and conflict.

Those numbers include 382 civilian deaths and 1,145 civilians wounded.

The Special Representative for Iraq, Ján Kubiš, condemned a recent terrorist suicide bombing at a popular market in Baghdad in which a number of civilians were killed or wounded.

He deplored how terrorists struck areas where people gathered in order to maximize casualties among civilians, in total disregard of the values of Islam.

Maldives urged to halt execution and maintain 60 year moratorium

The Government of Maldives has been urged by four UN human rights experts to halt the execution of a man who was sentenced to death following judicial procedures which, they say, failed to respect the "most stringent guarantees of fair trial and due process."

Hussain Humaam Ahmed, who is 22 years old, was sentenced to death in 2014 for the alleged murder of a former Member of Parliament and religious scholar in 2012.

The experts also called on the Maldivian authorities to uphold the unofficial moratorium on capital punishment which has been in force on the Indian Ocean island for the last six decades.

Duration: 3’09″

Filed under .
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

November 2017
M T W T F S S
« Oct    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930