News in Brief – 09 June 2016 (AM)

Listen /

 

UNHCR distribution of emergency relief items for displaced families from Fallujah who’ve arrived in camps from Ameriyat al-Falluja. Photo: UNHCR/Caroline Gluck

Humanitarian funding for civilians fleeing Fallujah running out

Humanitarian funding to help the thousands of Iraqi civilians trying to flee the city of Fallujah is running out, according to a senior UN official who has met some of those reaching safety.

Humanitarian Coordinator for Iraq, Lise Grande, said that the stories of those fleeing the city, which is under the control of ISIL terrorists, were "heartbreaking".

"They have been shot at" she said, adding that "many have drowned and thousands more are still trapped."

Iraqi government forces are trying to re-take the city, and a huge UN-led aid effort is underway to support the displaced in camps that are already over-stretched.

Ms Grande said only 30 per cent of the promised international funding had materialized and the emergency effort was "running out of funds."

UNHCR assistant representative for Iraq, Semih Bulbul, described conditions facing the 20,000 who have fled the city so far:

"The needs are really big. They are in need of food, water, shelter, health. As international organizations were are trying to do our best to assist them and cover these needs."

Terrorist bombings in Baghdad and elsewhere condemned by UN

Elsewhere in Iraq, the UN Special Representative in the country has strongly condemned terrorist bombings on Thursday which killed and wounded many people in the capital Baghdad and Taji, just north of the city.

News reports said that at least 30 had been killed by bombings carried out by the ISIL terrorist group.

Ján Kubiš said the "horrific bombings" were an attempt by the ISIL group to weaken Iraqi unity and "destroy its social fabric".

He added that it was "imperative that all Iraqis of different affiliations and backgrounds join in" the condemnation of what he described as the "cowardly acts."

UN chief condemns terrorist attack in Tel Aviv, Israel

The UN Secretary-General has condemned a terrorist attack in Tel Aviv which took place on Wednesday night, in which four Israelis were killed, and four others injured.

The attack was carried out by two Palestinians from the Occupied West Bank who opened fire on shoppers and diners at an open-air complex, according to news reports.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon said in a statement that he was "shocked that the leaders of Hamas have chosen to welcome this attack."

Hamas reportedly described the attack as "heroic."

Mr Ban said there was "no justification" for terrorism or the "glorification of those who commit such heinous acts."

The Palestinian Authority based in the West Bank issued a statement saying it "repeatedly emphasized its rejection of all operations targeting civilians" according to news reports.

Janie Cangelosi, United Nations.

Duration: 2’14″

Filed under .
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

November 2017
M T W T F S S
« Oct    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930