News in Brief – 08 June 2016 (PM)

Listen /

 

 

Serge Brammertz, Prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY). UN File Photo/Loey Felipe

Prosecutor warns of continuing "genocide denial"

The Prosecutor responsible for International Criminal Tribunals, MICT, warned the Security Council on Wednesday that "genocide denial continues" and promised to continue the hunt for eight fugitives still on the run.

Serge Brammertz, said his office was "firmly focussed on locating and securing the arrests" of the eight fugitives indicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.

The MICT was established by the council to continue the mandates of the International Criminal Tribunals for Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia.

Mr Brammertz said that appeal proceedings had begun in two war crimes cases involving former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan ,Karadžić and Serbian nationalist politician Vojislav Šešelj.

He said proceedings had commenced in the re-trial of two Serbian secret police officials accused of war crimes.

The prosecutor said it was "essential" for Member States to educate future generations about the "dangers of genocide ideology and discrimination".

UN condemns escalating attacks and casualties around Aleppo

The UN has called on all parties to the bloody conflict in Syria, now in its sixth year, to cease attacks on civilians in and around Aleppo.

On Wednesday, the UN Humanitarian Affairs office received reports of attacks in the east of the city which hit two medical facilities and resulted in dozens of deaths and injuries.

Here’s UN Spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric.

"The recent escalation of violence in Aleppo and surrounding areas since late April, has resulted in the death and injury of hundreds of people, many of them children. It also caused damage to schools, hospitals and other civilian infrastructure. The UN consistently condemns attacks on civilians, civilian infrastructure, and the violence that is leading to more unnecessary suffering."

He said humanitarian aid convoys had been approved by Syrian authorities for 15 out of 17 besieged locations.

Appeals for calm following violent clashes in Papua New Guinea

There have been violent clashes in Papua New Guinea between student protesters and police which have left nine injured, according to news reports.

The UN Secretary-General said that he was "concerned by the reports" of the clashes in the capital Port Moresby, and called for calm.

He stressed the "importance of respect for peaceful protest and freedom of assembly" and called for the government and student leaders to abide by the rule of law, and negotiate through non-violent means.

News reports said that students had gathered at a university campus intent on marching to parliament to protest, when their route was blocked by police.

Matthew Wells, United Nations.

Duration: 2’14″

Filed under .
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

November 2017
M T W T F S S
« Oct    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930