Mediterranean Sea deaths set to pass 3,000 for third year running

Listen /

Joel Millman from the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said that 700 Eritreans have reportedly died trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea since May 25. Photo: UN Photo/Daniel Johnson

The rescue of more than 5,000 migrants in unsafe boats off the Italian coast in the last 24 hours comes amid news that May was the deadliest month for Mediterranean Sea crossings so far this year, UN-partner the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said Friday.

According to IOM, 1,086 people died or went missing last month trying to sail to Europe.

That brings the total number of deaths so far in 2016 to over 2,800, which is at least 1,000 more than at the same point last year, as IOM's Joel Millman explained to Daniel Johnson.

Duration: 2'42"

 

Filed under Today's Features.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

November 2017
M T W T F S S
« Oct    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930