News in Brief 06 April 2016 (AM)

Listen /

 

Migrants at a detention centre in the city of Zawiya, Libya. Photo: Mathieu Galtier/IRIN

Migrant deaths in Libyan detention centre should be investigated

An "independent and impartial" inquiry into the deaths of four migrants from Sub-Saharan Africa, in a Libyan detention centre has been urged by the United Nations.

UN Humanitarian Coordinator in the North African country, Ali Al-Za'tari, called for a full investigation into the deaths, which took place in the aftermath of an apparent escape attempt.

The men were being held in the Al-Nasr prison, in al-Zawiya, west of the capital Tripoli.

All four were shot, and twenty more were injured. A guard was also wounded during the incident.

According to information supplied to the UN Mission in Libya, UNSMIL, the facility is designed to hold so-called illegal immigrants, who suffer inhumane and severely overcrowded conditions.

There is no access to medical care and food supplies are scarce, said UNSMIL.

Mr Al-Za'tari said that this incident "yet again highlights to deplorable conditions endured by migrants" in Libya.

Attack on hospital in Yemen strongly condemned

An attack on a hospital in Yemen in which four died, including a doctor, has been condemned by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Ma'arib Hospital provides health facilities for thousands of people in Ma'arib and surrounding governorates, and the intensive care unit and administration buildings suffered severe damage during the attack on April 1.

Hospitals have been regularly attacked since the escalation of Yemen's bloody civil war a year ago.

WHO said that 13 were injured during the attack, and they called on "all the parties to the conflict to respect the safety and neutrality of health workers".

Attacks on hospitals are a "direct violation of humanitarian law" WHO added.

Judges accused of "fundamental failure" in acquitting Serbian politician 

The decision by a majority of judges to acquit Serbian nationalist politician Vojislav Šešelj on charges of war crimes, has been criticized by a leading UN prosecutor.

The Chief Prosecutor of the UN Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT) said that there had been a "fundamental failure" by the majority to "perform their function".

Serge Brammertz added that an appeal by his office against last month's judgement by the UN's International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, was of the "utmost priority" on behalf of the "victims of the crimes" allegedly committed.

Mr Brammertz said that errors the MICT had identified in the majority decision, were of a "far reaching nature" and that judges had failed to consider large portions of evidence, or adequately explain their conclusions.

Janie Cangelosi, United Nations.

Duration: 2’16″

Filed under .
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

November 2017
M T W T F S S
« Oct    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930