New soldier sex abuse allegations made in CAR

Listen /

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein. UN Photo/Rick Bajornas

New allegations of the sexual abuse of children by foreign soldiers serving in the Central African Republic have been reported by the United Nations.

The alleged crimes mostly took place in 2014, but only came to light in recent weeks.

Daniel Dickinson reports.

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said he was "extremely alarmed" by continuing allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse of minors in the Central African Republic.

A series of accusations have been made over the past year against foreign troops, including UN Peacekeepers.

Soldiers serving under the UN flag have, so far, not been implicated in the latest revelations.

Rupert Colville, a spokesperson for the human rights Commissioner, said a team had recently interviewed a number of girls.

"Four of the girls said their abusers were attached to contingents operating as part of the European Union operation known as EUFOR. Two of the girls interviewed said they were raped by EUFOR soldiers, and the two other girls said they were paid to have sexual relationships with other EUFOR soldiers. While the nationalities of some of the soldiers remain unclear, three of the girls said they believed their abusers were members of the Georgian EUFOR contingent. The four girls were aged between 14 and 16 at the time of the alleged abuse." 

The latest cases have been raised with the European, Georgian and French authorities by High Commissioner Zeid.

Daniel Dickinson, United Nations.

Duration: 1’13″

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

December 2017
M T W T F S S
« Nov    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031