"Indiscriminate" attacks against Syrian civilians on the increase

Listen /

Matthew Rycroft. UN Photo/Mark Garten

"Indiscriminate" attacks on Syrian civilians by government forces have increased in the last year.

That's according to evidence presented to the UN Security Council on Thursday, by the independent Commission of Inquiry on Syria.

Matthew Wells reports:

The Commission briefed Security Council members for several hours and said that violations and abuses against civilians by all parties involved in Syria's bloody civil war were continuing.

The Chair of the Security Council, UK ambassador Matthew Rycroft, said that in the last year, Syrian government forces had increased their use of barrel bombs, and attacks on facilities such as hospitals.

He said although government forces of President Assad were not responsible for all the atrocities, they were mostly to blame.

"The Security Council demands that indiscriminate attacks and obstruction of aid must end, but so far these calls have gone unheeded. While violations and abuses have been commited by all sides, it is clear that the regime has committed the overwhelming majority and bears the ultimate responsibility for the protection of its civilians."

The Commission of Inquiry has a special remit to report on atrocities, and Ambassador Rycroft said that members had agreed to pass on their findings, with a view to possible future war crimes proceedings.

Matthew Wells, United Nations.  

Duration 1'00"

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031