Three million in Iraq without access to health care services

Listen /

Polio vaccination campaign in Iraq last year. Almost three million people in Iraq have been left without access to health care following the closure of services supported by humanitarian organizations. File Photo: UNAMI

Almost three million people in Iraq have been left without access to health care following the closure of services supported by humanitarian organizations, including the World Health Organization (WHO).

The UN agency said the closures were due to a lack of funding.

Ana Carmo reports.

WHO said 84 per cent of health programmes provided by humanitarian organizations had closed because of what it called a "severe funding shortfall."

More than 184 front-line health services in 10 governorates have been suspended.

The closures have left refugees, internally displaced people and local communities without access to a range of services including trauma care, primary health care, and reproductive health services.

Ongoing fighting in Iraq between the government and terrorists from the ISIL faction has created widespread insecurity across the country.

WHO said that of the almost US$ 61 million needed by the international community to provide health services, only US$ 5.1 million has been received.

Ana Carmo, United Nations.

Duration: 47"

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031