Suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan condemned by UN

Listen /

Ján Kubiš, Head of Afghanistan Mission. Photo: Fardin Waezi / UNAMA

A suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan which killed at least 43 people including eight children has been condemned by the United Nations.

The attack took place in a market in Urgun, in Paktika province in the south-east of the country and caused the single largest loss of life in 2014.

At least 67 civilians were also injured.

The head of UNAMA, the UN mission in the country, Ján Kubiš said the "appalling attack" took place during Ramadan, an occasion that he emphasised should be observed "in a spirit of peace and compassion."

The outlawed Taliban movement, which used to govern Afghanistan denied involvement in the attack and said it will be investigated.

Tuesday's explosion follows two suicide attacks earlier this week also in Paktika province which killed four and injured 11.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for those two attacks on their website.

Daniel Dickinson, United Nations

Duration: 1’00″

 

 

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

December 2014
M T W T F S S
« Nov    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031