People continue to flee South Sudan in absence of cease-fire

Listen /

A child peeking at her tent at the Tomping civilian protection camp in Juba, South Sudan . UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe

The UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, says the number of people fleeing fighting in South Sudan continues to rise, almost three weeks after a truce agreement was signed.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva, Adrian Edwards, UNHCR spokesperson, said the continuing fighting has forced almost 70,000 people to flee their homes, and seek shelter elsewhere in the country or in neighbouring states.

"Since the signing of the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement on the 9th of May in Addis Ababa, the number of internally displaced people has grown by 46,000 to just over a million.  Over the same period, the number of South Sudanese refugees in Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan and Uganda has grown by over 20,000 to 370,000 people." (20″)

The conflict in South Sudan has put four million people at risk of acute food insecurity, and UNHCR is concerned at the potential for further displacements, both internally and into neighbouring countries, over the coming weeks.

South Sudan has been mired in civil conflict for over six months, aggravating an already dire humanitarian situation.

The truce signed earlier this month was the second since the conflict began.

Andrew Martin, United Nations, Geneva.

Duration:  1’10″

 

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

December 2017
M T W T F S S
« Nov    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031