South Sudan Government condemns attack on UN base

Listen /

Displaced people in South Sudan – UNMISS

An attack on a United Nations base in South Sudan has been condemned by the country's government.

The UN Mission (UNMISS) said a mob of armed civilians forced entry into the UN camp in Bor in Jonglei State on Thursday morning and opened fire on the internally displaced people sheltering there.

Dozens of people were wounded including two peacekeepers.

South Sudan's Foreign Affairs Minister, Barnaba Marial Benjamin said the incident will be investigated and the perpetrators will be held accountable.

Speaking to journalists in the capital Juba, Mr Benjamin called for calm.

"We are appealing to our citizens, whether in the UNMISS camp in Bor or in Malakal or our citizens walking out there, whether in Jonglei, whether in Upper Nile or in Unity or anywhere else, that please, keep out of this thing because this is an issue of rebellion, and it will be handled by the Government with the rebels with the support of the international community and regional groupings."

The violence that has swept across South Sudan since the end of last year has left thousands dead and forced around a million people to flee their homes.

Daniel Dickinson, United Nations

Duration:1’15″

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

September 2014
M T W T F S S
« Aug    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930