Attack on Central African Republic relocation convoy condemned

Listen /

Muslim residents in CAR are fleeing towards Chad escorted by armed Seleka militias. UN Photo/Emmanuelle Schneider

A grenade attack on a humanitarian convoy in the Central African Republic, that left two people dead and seven injured, has been condemned by the United Nations.

Claire Bourgeois, the Senior Humanitarian Coordinator in the country, says that she is appalled by yesterday’s attack and has urged all armed groups to put an immediate end to the bloodshed.

The 18-truck convoy had been carrying almost 1,300 civilians from Bangui's PK12 neighbourhood to the northeast of the Central African Republic when it was attacked in Dissikou.

Those in the convoy were from Muslim and ethnic minority communities who had been trapped in the PK12 area when fighting broke out in December and January.

Chris Lom, spokesperson for the International Organization for Migration (IOM)  says that the decision to relocate wasn't taken lightly.

“The relocation destinations were not the decision of the UN, they were the decision of the community. And prior to the relocation, community leaders were actually taken to those relocation areas and met with local community leaders to ensure that the host community would welcome these people and that was the case."  (21″)

The first relocation of 93 people from PK12 to Bambari took place last week.

Nicki Chadwick, UN Radio, Geneva.

Duration: 1’21″

 

 

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

September 2014
M T W T F S S
« Aug    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930