WFP to cut food rations and scale back operations in DRC

Listen /

Displaced by fighting, these women queue up for food vouchers in the village of Minova, in Eastern DRC. Photo: WFP/Martin Penner

The World Food Programme (WFP) has announced it will be forced to reduce its work in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) because of severe funding constraints.

The agency says it will have to prioritize life-saving activities in acutely insecure and conflict-affected areas.

WFP Spokesperson, Elisabeth Byrs said the agency will begin cutting back on food rations and scaling back other operations.

"In December 2013, WFP had assisted 1.5 million food-insecure people in the DRC, including displaced, refugees, children and women suffering from malnutrition. And to continue coverage until August- that means until the end of July, we need $ 48.5 million immediately. Up until now, WFP had only received USD 8 million, which only represents 4 per cent of its funding needs for the DRC."

WFP had announced last year its goal to reach 4.2 million food-insecure people in the DRC between July 2013 and December 2015.

An estimated 11 per cent of the rural population in the country is food-insecure.

Jocelyne Sambira, United Nations.

Duration: 1’20″

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031