Humanitarian pause in Homs extended for three more days

Listen /

The warring parties in Syria have agreed to extend the ceasefire in Old Homs City, for a further three days.

More than 800 people have so far been evacuated from Homs during the so-called "humanitarian pause."

Vital food and medical supplies were also brought to people who have been besieged with little aid for nearly two years.

The UN's humanitarian chief, Valerie Amos, welcomed the news.

Martin Nesirky, the UN Spokesperson said aid workers in Damascus took a great personal risk to deliver the relief items.

"Since 7 February, humanitarian teams working with the local authorities, representatives of all sides and community leaders, in extremely dangerous circumstances, have managed to evacuate more than 800 people from the Old City of Homs and bring vital food and medical supplies to people who have been besieged with little aid for nearly two years. Ms. Amos said that it is absolutely unacceptable that UN and Syrian Arab Red Crescent aid workers were deliberately targeted." (33″)

Eleven people lost their lives needlessly as the humanitarian operations were being carried out, Nesirky said quoting Ms. Amos.

Ms. Amos has asked the international community to press for full accountability.

Daniel Dickinson, United Nations.

Duration: 1’26″

 

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

December 2017
M T W T F S S
« Nov    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031