UN and partners ask for over $790 million to help typhoon victims in Philippines

Listen /

Survivors of Typhoon Haiyan ask for help

The United Nations and its humanitarian partners in the Philippines on Tuesday presented another plan to respond to the needs of the people affected by typhoon Haiyan.

That's according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) which says the strategic response plan is an update of the initial appeal launched on 12 November.

Jens Laerke is OCHA spokesperson in Geneva.

"The original one, which was later updated slightly, asked for $348 million. The new appeal, which has been presented today, has a timeline of 12 months and requires $791 million for the next year to respond to all the needs that we have been briefed about." (19")

Jaens Laerke said that so far, over 4.1 million people have received food assistance in the areas of the Phillippines hit by the typhoon in early November.

In addition, relief agencies have distributed 245,000 shelter materials and are helping the affected people to rebuild damaged and destroyed houses.

Donn Bobb, United Nations.

Duration:0’59″

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

April 2014
M T W T F S S
« Mar    
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930