UN human rights office concerned about violence in LibyaListen /
Deep concern is being expressed over a number of violent incidents in Libya that have left more than 40 people dead and hundreds of others injured.
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights says these are the bloodiest incidents the Libyan capital, Tripoli, has seen since the end of the 2011 conflict.
Spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani says the UN human rights office condemns the use of violence against peaceful demonstrators which appeared to have triggered the armed clashes.
"Incidents began on Friday 15 November, with the shooting of demonstrators protesting against the presence in Tripoli of armed brigades from Misrata following earlier bouts of fighting last week. Almost all the deaths occurred on 15 November, although there were further fatalities reported on the following days. UNSMIL, the UN Support Mission in Libya, monitors visiting hospitals on Saturday received confirmation of 40 deaths from medical staff although the numbers were expected to rise. (27")
The UN human rights office noted with concern that several individuals are reported to have been taken prisoner by armed brigades during these clashes.
It reiterates its call for the release of the detainees without delay or for their transfer to the judiciary for criminal investigation.
It also calls on the Libyan authorities to launch a prompt, impartial and independent investigation into the violence and ensure that those found responsible for killings and other human rights abuses are brought to justice.
Donn Bobb, United Nations.