Three cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus reported

Listen /

Doctors look at an X-ray. Photo: WHO

Three laboratory-confirmed cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus and one death have been reported in Saudi Arabia.

Fadela Chaib, Spokesperson for the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva says the country's Ministry of Health has announced that there are three patients infected with the virus.

"The first patient is a 63-year old woman with an underlying medical condition from the eastern region. The second patient is a 75-year old man with an underlying medical condition from the Al Assar Governorate and the third patient is a 21 year old man from the Haffar Governate who died. Additionally a previously laboratory-confirmed case has died." (25")

WHO says that globally, from September 2012 to date, it has been informed of 58 laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, including 33 deaths.

Dianne Penn, United Nations

Duration; 1'01"

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

July 2014
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031