Security Council hears update on Yemen's transitionListen /
Yemen's government has welcomed engagement from the UN Security Council which it expects will continue, United Kingdom Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant told the chamber on Thursday.
The ambassador briefed members on the recent Security Council mission to the country which he co-chaired with Moroccan Ambassador Mohammed Loulichki.
He said the mission held talks with various national authorities, including President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi , who gave an update on the country's transition.
"He reported that phase one, which had involved military restructuring and consolidated gains against Al Qaeda, was now complete. Yemen had been saved from civil war, thanks to the Gulf Cooperation Council initiative and Security Council attention, but deep challenges remained. Phase two would focus on the national dialogue leading to elections in February 2014. As you know, since then, President Hadi has announced that the national dialogue will start on 18 March. The President made a direct and clear appeal to the Security Council for continued support and called for strong measures to be taken against those individuals that were undermining the process. A new Yemen built on the aspirations of the youth who had occupied the squares was now needed." (49 secs)
The Security Council mission was also briefed by UN agencies on the humanitarian situation in Yemen.
Ambassador Lyall Grant said half of the country's 24 million people lack access to clean water and sanitation, while 10 million do not have sufficient food.
Dianne Penn, United Nations.