Security Council condemns North Korea's rocket launchListen /
The UN Security Council has condemned the launch of a rocket by People's Democratic Republic of Korea, the DPRK, in December last year.
In a unanimous resolution adopted on Tuesday afternoon, the Council demanded that North Korea stop using ballistic missiles.
It also demanded that the DPRK abandon all its nuclear weapons and existing nuclear programmes in a complete, verifiable and irreversible manner.
The representative of the United States, Ambassador Susan Rice, who tabled the resolution, says it is a firm, united and appropriate response to what she called "North Korea's reckless act."
"The resolution adopted today condemns the launch and imposes important new sanctions on North Korea, on its companies and government agencies, including North Korea's space agency which is responsible for the launch, a bank and North Korean individuals. It also updates current lists of nuclear and ballistic missile technology banned for transfer to and from the DPRK, helping ensure that North Korea is unable to procure or proliferate the most sensitive technology." (34")
Ambassador Rice says strict enforcement of sanctions is essential to address what she says is the "threat posed by North Korea's nuclear and missile programmes."
She adds that the United States remains committed to resolving its concerns about these programme through "authentic and credible negotiations to the greatest extent possible".
Donn Bobb, United Nations