Deaths from typhoon in Philippines continue to rise

Listen /

Typhoon Bopha

The number of people killed, injured, missing and affected by Typhoon Bopha in the Philippines continues to rise as debris is cleared and more information becomes available.

That's according to the United Nations humanitarian agency (OCHA) which says the typhoon has destroyed over 3,000 houses.

OCHA spokesperson Jens Laerke says the government puts the number of dead at 331.

"According to the national disaster management authorities, five million people had been affected and some almost 350,000 people were in 541 evacuation centres across the affected regions. The eastern Mindanao remained the worst affected, both in coastal municipalities and inland in the Compostela Valley, where the majority of the deaths, injuries and missing had been reported up till now."

Duration: 28"

OCHA says the government of the Philippines is leading the emergency rescue, evacuation and response operation.

Gerry Adams, United Nations.

Duration: 1’03″

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

December 2014
M T W T F S S
« Nov    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031