Justice delayed for survivors of political rape in Guinea-Conakry: UN expert
Three years after more than 100 women were raped or sexually abused during peaceful protests in Guinea-Conakry, some perpetrators still have not been brought to justice.
That assessment comes from the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict, Zainab Bangura, in a statement on Friday.
Charles Appel report.
Ms. Bangura said the world was shocked by the rapes and other atrocities committed by security forces in Guinea-Conakry in September 2009.
An International Commission of Inquiry verified that at least 150 unarmed demonstrators also were killed.
The UN expert has welcomed the indictment earlier this month of the country's former Health Minister for his alleged role in the events.
But she said it is important that these and other charges are processed swiftly as justice already has been delayed for too long.
Ms. Bangura added there is urgent need to assist the survivors and to bring remaining perpetrators to justice.
Charles Appel, United Nations