Thousands of Haitians still living in makeshift camps

Haitian camps

Nearly 400,000 people still remain in displacement camps two years after the January 2010 devastating earthquake in Haiti, according to the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

At the peak of the displacement crisis, camp populations peaked at 1.5 million people.

IOM says despite the sharp reduction in the numbers of displaced people, there was need to scale up the resettlement of the remaining population which is housed in some 575 camps.

IOM Director General William Swing who has been visiting Haiti said security for those living in the camps was of major concern especially for women and girls who remain extremely vulnerable to sexual and gender-based violence.

Chris Lom is the spokesperson for the IOM.

"What is happening in these camps is primarily that people are leaving because they are being offered rent subsidies to move into alternative housing. The most high profile of these movements which are led by the government has been the relocation of the Champ de Mars spontaneous camp in the centre of port au Prince. Previously there were some 4,600 families living there, and about 90 per cent of the camp has now been dismantled and people have moved to rented accommodation primarily with the help of these rental subsidies. Director-General Swing emphasized that there is a lot more to be done and will involve tremendous effort and more funding from the international community working with the government and international agencies."

Duration: 43"

Listen /
Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031