Sudan rescinds explusion order for South Sudanese

Listen /

Families upload their belongings onto a truck

The government of Sudan has rescinded an earlier decision to expel an estimated 15,000 South Sudanese nationals stranded in Kosti town some 200 kilometers south of the capital, Khartoum.

The South Sudanese nationals who have been in the town for months waiting for transport back to their country had been ordered to leave by 5th of May.

The International Organization for Migration(IOM) says the government of Sudan is now offering to airlift the stranded people from Khartoum to the South Sudan capital of Juba.

Jumbe Omari Jumbe from IOM says although the airlift may take weeks to complete, it is the best solution for all concerned and will enable the South Sudanese to move back home in safety and dignity.

"Most of these people, they are going to start their lives and they have taken everything with them, beds, chairs, a goat here, a cat there. Yesterday our representative in Khartoum met with the South Sudanese Ambassador in Sudan.  The government of southern Sudan has agreed to take responsibility of reaching the luggage to these people. We will only be taking 20 kilos for each passenger as it is allowed on the flight. The rest of that luggage will remain in Kosti for the government of Southern Sudan to deal with."  (Duration:  37")

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

       

 

December 2017
M T W T F S S
« Nov    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031