Fresh attacks by Uganda rebel group in DR Congo displace 3,000

Listen /

child from the DRC carrying wood

Several thousand people have been displaced from eastern Democratic Republic of Congo due to fresh attacks by the Ugandan rebel Lord's Resistance Army or LRA, according to the UN refugee agency.

After a lull in the second half of last year, the new attacks have forced 3,000 people out of their homes.

The displaced have been sleeping in makeshift shelters and lack clean, drinking water as well as basic sanitation facilities, says UNHCR spokesperson, Fatoumata Lejeune-Kaba.

"There have been 20 attacks since the beginning of this year. One person was killed and 17 abducted during these incidents. Abducted civilians are often used as porters, while the LRA had forced young women into sexual slavery. The most recent attacks took place in the village of Bagulupa, 55 kilometres east of Dungu, the village was attacked on February 10 and again on February 24, forcing most of the inhabitants to flee on foot towards Dungu. Most of the displaced have indeed moved towards Dungu and to settlements for internally displaced people (IDP) in the area".

Duration: 40″

LRA activities in Orientale have caused the displacement of an estimated 320,000 people since 2008, says UNHCR.

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031