Renewed clashes in eastern DR Congo displace 100,000

Listen /

Kitabati IDP Camp Residents

Over 100,000 civilians have been forced out of their homes in parts of eastern Democratic Republic of Congo following renewed clashes between government troops, rebel groups and local militia.

The UN refugee Agency UNHCR says the clashes are reported to have begun in November last year.

In Walikale and Masisi territories in North Kivu province, at least 35,000 people have been displaced.

UNHCR says at least 22 people have been killed and unknown number of women raped during the fighting.

In the Shabunda region of South Kivu, close to 70,000 people have been displaced since November.

Adrian Edwards is from UNHCR.  

"A UN assessment mission visited last week. They found empty and burnt villages as well as looted health care centres. In Walowa Yungu 14 of the 18 villages in the area have been virtually deserted by residents. Its an areas because of the insecurity is particularly difficult to get to. This is preventing assessment missions getting to some of these places. In some instances it does make it extremely difficult to help people and to work in those areas."

UNHCR estimates that there are over 1.1 million people displaced by years of civil war in North and South Kivu regions.

Duration 29"

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031