Security forces in Yemen clamp down on protestors

A group of displaced people in Yemen

Anti-government protestors in Yemen have reportedly been killed and hundreds injured after security forces used live ammunition against them.

UN Human Rights Chief Navi Pillay says her office has received reports that 50 people were killed on Sunday in Taiz by the national army and other government affiliated forces.

The security forces are said to have used water canons and bulldozers to destroy a protest camp in Horriya Square.

Navi Pillay says her office is investigating these reports. 

Meanwhile the World Food Programme says it has resumed food distributions in the war-affected Northern city of Sa'ada after a three month suspension.

Emilia Casella is the WFP spokesperson.

"Now we have been able together with Islamic Relief to resume food assistance to the 300,000 people that we had already been assisting and to an additional 116,000 people who had previously been cut off from food assistance. We are particularly happy about that because we were very concerned about the food situation for those people who had been cut off from assistance."

Yemen, Casella says, is one of the most food insecure countries in the world.

duration: 24″

Filed under Today's News.
UN Radio Daily News Programme
UN Radio Daily News Programme
Updated at 1800 GMT, Monday to Friday
Loading the player ...

CONNECT

 

October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031